When I asked her why they could not do something more scout-like (maybe camping?), she told me that the scout leaders had put it to a vote, and only two in the gaggle wanted to actually camp. The rest would go camping only if they could stay in a hotel! My daughter was one of the two who actually wanted to camp. At least I've done something right! (As for the troop leaders who leave it to a bunch of city-kids to decide what comprises scouting... well maybe their parents did something wrong.)
Then my wife rolled her eyes as I began to tell all of my kids about when I was a kid. I only did a brief stint in boy scouts, but I was well educated in the ways of nature. I explained how my father taught me to hunt, fish, skin wild game, camp, start a fire, and wipe my butt with leaves -- as well as many other macho, outdoorsy skills.
My kids pitched in, and we developed a list of appropriate badges that real scouts should be required to earn. These were the top ten.
- Sneak Up on a Sleeping Bear and Smack Him with a Switch Badge
- Outrun a Really Ticked Off Bear Badge
- Squirt Lemon Juice in Your Eyes to Simulate Cobra Venom Badge
- Urinate in Someone's Eyes to Neutralize Cobra Venom Badge
- Don't Urinate Upstream from Your Camp Badge
- Lance Your Own Boil with a Pocket Knife Badge
- Eat a Grasshopper, Mustard and All, Badge
- Survive the Dysentery Caused by Grasshopper Mustard Badge
- Live with a Pack of Wolves for 30 Days Badge
- Kill Something and Eat It Badge